Sanne

Sanne

I like to read classics, historical fiction and world lit. Oh and I love short stories.

The Waning of the Middle Ages - Johan Huizinga Herfsttij der Middeleeuwen studie over levens- en gedachtenvormen der veertiende en vijftiende eeuw in Frankrijk en de Nederlanden - Johan Huizinga

"Herfsttij" is one of the classics in Medieval Studies and has had a profound inpact on academics. It is one of the stepping stones taken by academics to get where they are now. Nearly a century after its publication, most ideas represented in Huizinga's book are outdated. However, it remains a wonderful read for anyone with a keen interest in the Middle Ages and the academics geared towards studying this period.

The set-up and writing style of this book do not make for light reading. The sentences are complex, and at times it's very difficult to understand what Huizinga is getting at. However, despite the complexity, his language is beautiful and at times it almost reads like poetry.
If at all possible, I recommend to read it in Dutch. I'm unsure as to the quality of translating his writing in other languages, and some translations into English are not be complete.