Sanne

Sanne

I like to read classics, historical fiction and world lit. Oh and I love short stories.

The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency) (Alexander McCall Smith)

The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #12) - Alexander McCall Smith

In this twelfth book of the series, we can once again enjoy the adventures of Mma Ramotswe and her closest friends and collegues. Consistent with the rest of the series, McCall Smith has written a light-hearted and sunny book portraying life in Botswana.
What I admire McCall Smith for is his way of portraying Batswana everyday life. While the problems that the country (and most of Africa) faces are also touched upon - such as the devastating poverty of most of the population -, it is balanced by Mma Ramotswe's reflections on life, the traditional lifestyle and her love for her country. One of her cases in this twelfth book takes her into the traditional countryside to investigate a case of cows that have been attacked - a most serious case in a country where cows are your most valued possession! Important themes in this book on which Mma Ramotswe reflects and discusses with her closest friends are the differences between men and women (especially with the upcoming marriage of Mma Makutsi and Charlie's latest problems), as well as how different employers treat their employees.
Then there are the everyday preoccupations of the quirky set of characters; when Mma Ramotswe sees the ghost of her late van, she and her opinionated assistant-detective Mma Makutsi discuss whether it is possible that vans have ghosts and whether or not they could be seen in broad daylight.

All in all, once again a fun and quick read about the new adventures of Mma Ramotswe.