Sanne

Sanne

I like to read classics, historical fiction and world lit. Oh and I love short stories.

SPOILER ALERT!

a Burnable Book (Bruce Holsinger)

A Burnable Book - Bruce   Holsinger

This book is highly enjoyable, the writer clearly has talent and I can't wait to see what he has in store for us next. However, it feels like a debut novel. I had some difficulty with the writing in the beginning of the book. It didn't flow very well and was a bit of an obstacle for me getting into the story. As the story progresses, the writing improves, and by the end, during the climax, the writing was great. It flowed and had just the right pace.

The greatest asset of the story are the characters: they're very memorable and likeable. I adored Eleanore. They're such a fascinating historical figure and it's great to see a fictional interpretation of them. My only squabble with Holsinger's interpretation of them is that his descriptions of their gender seem contradictory. Of course, one could write a character as fluid or themself unsure of their gender, but the way it was written didn't convey any fluidity or uncertainty. So instead, it came off as contradictory to me.

I love the duo Gower and Chaucer. I think they make a really nice mystery/thriller duo. Instead of a detective with his trusty sidekick, we get two friends who seem to be very close (and who want to be very close), but who still have a very uneasy working relationship. There's such an interesting tension between these two and I'd love to see more mystery/thriller novels with a team-up like that. And as the writer is planning to write sequels with this duo there's more of the Gower/Chaucer team-up in the future (hooray!)